Friday, January 15, 2010

31 Things I learned in 2009...Day 14

What I learned: GO SEE A DRAG SHOW WHENEVER POSSIBLE

How I learned this: For the second year in a row Whim So Doodle has hosted a cropping adventure called the Doodle Caboose Train Trip! We load a bunch of fun and crazy scrapbookers up on a Amtrak train and head off for a fun weekend of cropping and playing! In 2009 we headed off to Savannah. Holey moley did we have a great time! The trip was amazing and the ladies who went were just a hoot and a half! But, one of the things that I really wanted to do was to go to the drag show where The Lady Chablis preforms. She is the actress from Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and she is on stage all the time in Savannah. Sadly, not the nights we were there, but we got a group together and went anyways. The club that she appears in is Club One. Not a very upscale club, but fun none the less. There was a big group of us who went, and I think that the early show that we went to was the "tourist show" since there really were not the usual drag show groupies around. (I'll save the story of how I know what "usual drag show groupies" are for another day...) We all got our drinks and headed into the show room. A few minutes later the show started with the most amazing drag queens (and one or two that should have stayed off the stage...) I've seen. These gals lip synced and were 100% glam-ed up. These ladies know how to put on a show. Small stage, big personalities. Some would come out into the audience, some would stick with the big tippers and others would stay lost in character and live center-stage, under the spotlight. Drag shows are just good rip-roarin' fun. You can laugh out loud. Wonder... Order a third drink. Tuck a tip into the performers fingers. Sing or dance along. Wonder some more... And applaud like mad! We all had a great time and couldn't wait to show off the hundreds of photos we took when we got back! It could be a once-in-a-lifetime thing or if you are like me a every-chance-I-get thing, but I recommend seeing a drag show!!

1 comment:

  1. and whatever you do, do NOT, i repeat, do NOT leave your scrappy choo choo train agenda/planner in the last bar that you go to or you will be one LOST party hostess til it is returned to you :)
    how I learned this valuable lesson? first hand.

    ReplyDelete