Tuesday, August 11, 2009

One of my favorite movie lines...

One of my favorite movie lines is from Jerry McGuire and goes something like this, "Help me, to help you." I use this all the time when I get some unsatisfactory service and I was thinking that over the last few days as I am trying to negotiate the purchase and installation of a window-unit air conditioner. First I try Lowe's. They charge me $35 to come out to inspect the spot that the AC will go into, make recommendations on what size and type of unit I'll need. Once that is established, they sell me a unit and set up installation. But wait! How can I get an installation if I am in PA and the unit is in FL? This will require my signature. The lovely Lowe's dude tells me that he cannot do the install because they need my signature on the contract. Um..OK. How can I get the contract? He suggests that I drive to my nearest Lowe's and he will fax it to them for me to sign. That should do it. Nope. As much as I like Lowe's the closest to me is about an hour away. "Is there another way", I wonder to the dude? He doesn't think so. (Now is the part in my brain where I chant, help me, to help you.) I suggest that he fax to me directly and I could sign it and fax it right back to him. You could see the light bulb go off over Tampa from here on my mountain! OK. It's all set, signed, paid for and a date for the install has been picked. About 1 day before the install I get a call saying that the unit isn't the correct unit that is needed (as determined in the original visit) and that Lowe's does not even carry the one I need. Refund. OK. I'll move on to Sears. Sears is a venerable establishment. They'll have what I want and the customer service as well. So I call the Sears in Tampa thinking that there is where I would contact if I was needing a AC unit in Tampa. Right? Wrong! Yes, they have the slide-out unit I need. Yes, they can install it. No, they cannot complete the transaction over the phone. Why? Because I want to use a Visa and not a Sears card. (only have the one credit card, sorry) Huh? No, sorry, we cannot take your credit card over the phone. I ask the Sears employee what my options are to which she has no idea. Her suggestion? Take care of it in Florida. You've got to be kidding me, right? (Again with the personal chant...help me, to help you) I get a little squinky on the phone and say, "I have money that I would like to exchange for goods and services. Do you want my money? Will you be able to provide me with an AC?" "We would like your business, but I just don't know how." I thank her, drive to my local Sears in PA and find Jim. Jim the Gem (who happens to sound exactly like John Malkovich-I love John Malkovich!) I explain what I need, he consults a co-worker, a pamphlet and the help desk and in a matter of moments, he has my AC unit ordered, an install date picked and it all paid for! Sigh... Nothing like good old-fashioned customer service where the customer has nothing to do with coming up with the service part. Thanks Jim!

No comments:

Post a Comment