Wednesday, August 12, 2009

It happened....

I was sitting in my favorite chair catching the last few minutes of Kitchen Nightmares while the salmon was finishing up in the oven when I spot a black thing moving in our yard. I think to myself, "My, that is a pretty big cat." Then it starts to move and I think some more, "That's not a cat. That's a (gulp) BEAR!" Now I guess that I didn't just think it, I actually shouted it 'cause I heard Charles shout back from the potty, "Get a camera! Get a camera!" I watched the bear run from the front of our yard to the back of our yard and the entire time I shouted, "BEAR! BEAR!! BEEEAARRRR!!" It was running, not taking it's time to stop and smell anything or possibly stake us out for a future attack. Needless to say I was gobsmacked! Charles came running out of the bathroom in his boxers asking, "Where is it? Where is it?" and ran out to the porch in his undies really excited to see this bear. (What a dork!) The bear was long gone...and so are my evening walks...my morning walks...any dog walking that isn't just steps from the house...night time star gazing...walking from the house to the barn/garage...eating dinner outside...walking to the neighbor's house....so long.

2 comments:

  1. I just asked you if you had seen any bears ... I knew they were up there. And the old adage that they are as afraid of you ... blah blah blah. But ... somewhat .... but, yes, caution, my friend, caution is the key. Do not leave any food outside. No fresh baked blueberry pie on the windowsill .... yes ... they can push in a screen. They are incredibly strong. But food right now in their environment is probably plentiful too. I know, I'm not making you feel any better. Talk to some of the locals though ... my guess is no bear attacks in 50 years. Hugs! (I almost wrote Bear Hugs but didn't think you would see the humor!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the last time I was in Utah, up in the Sundance area we were riding the ski gondola up for a summer hike and I asked if there were any bears in the area since there were parts of the gondola where our feet hung suspiciously low and was laughed at! They said that there were bears in the area, but they are more afraid...blah blah blah and that there has not been an attack on a human in more years than they can remember. I arrived back in FL on a Sunday, got an email from one of the locals who laughed at me that included an article about a boy who was attacked (and killed) while in his tent just a few miles from where our feet were dangling. I'm just saying...

    ReplyDelete