Monday, February 2, 2009

Project 365-Day 36

Stacey took this photo while we were shopping in JoAnns for knitting supplies. Yep. We are going to try to knit! Miss Barbara at WSD is a great knitter and has offered to teach some of us, so we had to go pick out our supplies. The choices! Did we like the fuzzy stuff with all the different colors woven in? Super soft vs. regular? Debbie Mumm has knitting yarn? Cool! It was great fun poking all the yarn in the bins dreaming of the scarves we are gonna make. I was more than a little excited to get started, so once I was home I went out on the net to find some videos to show me how it's done. Normally I am a fine crafter. My hands do what my brain tells it to do. "Normally" does not apply to knitting. My fingers don't seem to work. I am all over casting on. I got that down. Downtown like Bobby Brown! But the actual knit stitch... Under the knot-hold both needles with one hand-wrap the yarn around one needle-push through and catch the yarn from the underside-push off the loop from one needle to the other. Huh? I think I've got it, but what about tension? How tight do you pull the yarn? How loose do you leave the loop? What happens when you've taken the stitches out so many times the yarn actually tears apart? Oh! Why didn't I just wait for the lessons with Miss Barbara? I have this sad little swatch of maybe 6 rows that is so dopey looking I couldn't bear to share the photo. Big 'ole holes I could stick my finger through where there shouldn't be any hole. Loops of yarn where the others in it's row are nice and tidy. And nobody told me that my back muscles would tense all up from knitting! Knitting is a workout! I hope my brain and hands are getting along the next day I pick up those blasted needles.

No comments:

Post a Comment