Monday, January 12, 2009

Project 365-Day 17



Sunday's Photo: I was laying in bed last night, with no photo taken that day and not really thinking about a photo when Elphaba jumped up and joined me and Ginger. I heard Ginger under her blanket "cleaning" herself and I started talking to them both. (Before you start thinking I am losing it because I am talking to my animals, let me assure that it is not for the lack of another human in the house, I have always carried conversations with my furry companions!) Anyway...I was telling them that dogs and cats are down on the evolutionary scale because they lack opposing thumbs. I was telling them that those of us with opposing thumbs are able to do amazing things like play tennis, use objects to carry food to our mouths, play a ukulele and-very important-use toilet paper to wipe our behinds! As I was looking into the sweet faces of those digit-deficient critters, I remembered a quote/concept from one of my all-time favorite books by one of my favorite authors, Bluebeard by Kurt Vonnegut. In Bluebeard, we are in a time in the very far future where humans have de-evolved back into a fishey form and an observer (who follows man throughout time) notes that humans are not as violent in their fish form and that "you can't shoot a gun with just your flippers and your mouth". So I tell my kiddos to stay sweet and to hold still while mama uses her thumb to grab her camera....

No comments:

Post a Comment