Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Fabulous 1890's Weekend

Last weekend Charles and I hit one of the biggest events that happens in Mansfield-The Fabulous 1890's Weekend. This weekend is in celebration of the first ever night time football game played under electric lights. It happened in Mansfield in 1892. So they have a festival to commemorate the event with lots of stuff to offer and then it ends with an re enactment of the game with the 1890's rules and period football. We went on Friday night for some midway games, funnel cake and fun.

Charles played darts and won Kiwi a long pink snake!


Funnel cake!!


The next day we started the day off on Main Street watching the motor less parade. We sat on the curb with a brusque breeze blowing leaves off the trees waiting for the big show! This was my fist attempt at fall layering and I wore a shirt, sweater and a jacket. I only had on jeans 'cause Charles said that nobody wears long johns in September. Plus, I needed to work up to the heavy stuff!

The first marching band was really good.


Did I mention that this was a motor less parade?




Lots of people dressed in period clothes and anyone was welcomed to participate in the parade.



I love a parade!! Especially the bagpipes!!!




Last year's and this year's Miss 1890's.


Fantastic music...we sat and listened to a Polka band. (Don't tell anyone but I am a closet Lawrence Welk Show lover!)


On Saturday in the afternoon it started to rain and continued through the rest of the evening so sadly the park kind-of cleared out and there were not a lot of folks there at the end to watch the game and fireworks. But we braved the drizzle and sat under a big tent and watched the game. They "played" with the original rules that didn't include forward passing or kick offs. It was a pretty rough sport with many players being boxers as well. Lots of fighting.



It was a great weekend and I learned one thing...the top half of you can be warm enough, but the bottom can be cold all by itself! I found that just my legs were shivering towards the end of the evening and I realized that a) I am from Florida and b) no one will know what I am wearing under my jeans so if I need to wear blasted long johns in September I'M GONNA!!

1 comment:

  1. Tights, heavy tights. They fit close to the body and don't show under anything. Plus, they hold your stomach in and pull your butt up.
    Trust me.
    Johnnie

    ReplyDelete