Monday, September 28, 2009

The absolute cure...

I have found the absolute cure for the dreary-day-blues! A grilled cheese sandwich & homemade split pea soup! Today has been rainy, dreary and chilly! So I decided to make some soup for lunch. Warming the house up by cooking creamy pea soup and taking my steaming mug and cheesy sandwich to the bay window to eat was an excellent way to chase away the chills...I could almost see the dark clouds rolling away and the sun start to peek through the tree tops.



Now just add in a frosty glass of root beer, a dill pickle slice and the chatting and laughter of ladies at lunch and I am transported back to the 60's and 70's, sitting at the McCrory's Five & Dime lunch counter in Fort Lauderdale's Coral Ridge Mall. My Grandma used to work at that McCrory's at that very lunch counter and I remember seeing photos of her in her pink and white starched uniform. But she worked there when I was very young. When I was a bit older my Mom, Grandma Sarah, my Great-aunts Ada and Julia and I would go shopping at the mall at least once a month and it was such a treat to "eat out" with the girls. Sitting at the bustling lunch counter was always lively and fun. Each of us had our favorite lunch counter fare and I was a 'soup and grilled cheese' kid. In fact, I am a 'soup and grilled cheese' adult too! It doesn't get much better for me. Now, if I was a very good girl (and I always was!!) we went next door to Dipper Dan's for some ice cream-always rainbow sherbet. I was a girl with simple tastes...

See? Sweet memories, steaming soup and a ooey sandwich cured my dreary-day blues! Aaahh...now back to that pile of laundry...

No comments:

Post a Comment