Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I'm a nice person...honest!

When I first moved up here I was fascinated by the sweet, kind, helpful, pleasant dispositions of most everyone we met up here. Mostly I was shocked at the salespeople. The first time in Weis the lady was so nice and chatty that I had to call Stacey about it. And I'm sure we can all remember that hug I got from the nice satellite installer. So it was with much shock that this afternoon I got the worst customer service from a cashier at Weis than I can remember in a long, long time! It started when I rolled my buggy up to her line. The store was slow and the cashiers were hanging out in front of the lines to let people know they were open. So I pick her line, she glances at my rather full buggy and rolls her eyes. I should have moved on to another line... I start to unload my cart and get zero greeting. Zip. I know that I have a number of things that were on special so I keep those until last so I can make sure they ring up correctly. I get to the pay stand and watch the dog Snuggies ring up at $9.99. I tell her, "Those were marked down to .99" She looks up and me, stares at me for a full beat and shouts to a nearby cashier, "Are these pet things only .99? She says that they are .99" The other cashier who is not busy, walks over and asks, "Did it have a 'PC' in it?" "Yes," she replies. The other cashier says, "Well her Weis Card should have discounted it." Realizing that she didn't ask for my card before she started ringing up she looks at me and says, "Where is your Weis Card?" I blink and say that it is at home. Full beat stare again. "Well, if it says 'PC' and you don't have a Weis Card then there is no way you are gonna get that price." I'm thinking, is she really talking to me like this? I say that I DO have the card, just not on me. The 2nd cashier offers to go look up the number and the 1st cashier picks up the Snuggy, leans against the counter and fans herself with the box. "At least it makes a good fan," she says over her shoulder to me. "I'm not gonna keep ringing up the rest of your stuff because I don't want to have to void this one out and then have to add it back in if she comes back with your number." I am just standing there seething at this woman. She knows that I am not feeling any love towards her and it seems to me she could care less. The 2nd cashier comes back after some more Sunggy fanning with my card number written on it. "Let's see if this works," she mutters as she types the number in the system. It does. "Looks like it took your discount off." Then she rings the rest of my stuff up. As I watch, she just flings-literally flings-the items into the bags. She is not trying to keep cold food together. Not trying to keep fragile things separate. She is just flinging and tossing the bag up onto the back counter for me to put in my buggy. Bread was given no special treatment! Bread, for goodness sakes! Once she is totally done ringing everything through she turns to me, hands me the paper with my Weis Card number written on it and says, "You should really hold on to this because you saved over $25 today." (Pet Sunggies are normally $9.99, and today they were .99, even being no mathmagician I can see that $18 of that savings is all Snuggy!) Now that seems like a nice thing to say, helping me save money and all, but it was the way she said it. Kind-of like she was talking down to me. Scolding me for leaving my card at home. Then...then...she delivered the poor customer service coup de gras. She said, "You'll also get to take an additional 5% off today because it's Senior Day." I guess I must have dropped my mouth open or gasped a little, 'cause she said, "You ARE over 55 aren't you?" Now, I'm a nice person...honest! But when this...this...lady tries to burn me with the "Senior Discount" blow I lost my mind! If I was a cartoon steam would have been pouring out of my ears! I chuckled a little and said, "Really?" "Really?!" She says, "Oh...sorry." Tells me my total and hands me my receipt quietly as I roll away.
I know her name. I know the Weis' phone number. AND I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them!

4 comments:

  1. The honeymoon is over in PA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! That should cost her her job. That is so rude. I have also had the "Senior Discount" thing pulled on me too. The nerve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would Definately call! Or print out this blog entry and mail it to them!!!! Poor thing .... and you're so young too .....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would have talked to someone before leaving the store. That "person" needed to be put in her place, (which should have been out the door).
    Alice Christopher
    (sorry can't post unless I am unknown.)

    ReplyDelete