Wednesday, July 8, 2009

We have arrived!

The Pecks are officially in PA! We arrived last Friday and were just about to have to be put down we were all so tired! The animals all survived with a few "almost losts" in hotel rooms-Elphaba went in between the mattress liner and the bed frame and Ginger escaped down the hall to check out the breakfast options one morning. Poor Minnie Mae is terrified of the new surroundings that she has become a recluse in Kayla's bedroom.
The house that Charles found for us is just heaven! I am in love with a house! The cupboards in the kitchen are grand. I told Charles that any home in our future must have this kind of cupboard space 'cause I am getting quickly spoiled. The turn off to our house is really a "turn up" because you have to head up the mountain. In the front of the house you look out at the tree tops, but in the back you are level with the ground. There is no AC and really no need, with a few windows open you can cool the whole house. In fact it gets down to the 50's at night, so a few windows cracked does the trick! The views are just so wonderful that I just sit and watch what I have dubbed "the Nature Channel" which is really just looking out a window. The wind through the trees sings a constant song to me. Sometimes the birds or neigh boor's dogs join in, but it has fast become a song I listen for every day. We have found a little stream that runs through the property and Kayla spent some time down there with Kiwi yesterday, just gathering her thoughts. So far the wildlife spotting has been slim...barn swallows dive bomb all the time, tons of bats gather around a light just outside our living room window, there was a barn cat I tried to make friends with, a half of a groundhog in our yard (don't know what happened to the other half...), one doe this morning in our yard, fireflies at night and two very friendly "neighbors"-a beagle and a small white dog of undetermined breed.
K and I have noticed that the people up here are very friendly-they wave when they pass, take time to sit and chat with you and offer what help they can. We just need to get unpacked quicker and go out and mingle more!
My car stays constantly splatted with the mud from the road that Charles insists isn't a dirt road that leads to our house. But to me a road that is compacted earth and rocks is a dirt road...maybe I am wrong here, but I don't think so! I know I am going to soon need some brake and transmission work 'cause my Vibe isn't used to going up and down all the time.
I have learned that road kill is inevitable. Have not killed anything yet, but have been close on a mouse, a groundhog and today a bird. Charles had to stop yesterday and let a doe cross the road.
Kayla and I drove 45 minutes today to get to a Target. In fact we found a bounty of stores that we love-PetSmart, Sam's Club, Pannera, Hobby Lobby, Michael's, JoAnns, Kohls and more! We are planning out either weekly or bi-monthly runs since it is far.
I have photos to share but they will have to wait until we get our DSL hooked up on Monday. There is lots more to tell, so keep checking! And send me a shout-out to let me know who is reading!
We have lots of extra space for visitors and have our first visit planned with Charles' folks at the end of the month. Ya'll come on up, 'ya hear?!

8 comments:

  1. so glad that u made it up there.......send info about the cheap airline and airport once again pretty please.tell k i will go and have a smoothie for her :) luv and miss u all,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading!!!!! Have checked your blog everyday since you left....

    It sounds marvelous Jen, but then I knew it would be. How could it not? It's just my cup of tea.

    {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading too!! I miss you already, but I am so happy that you are all together now..Keep us updated and..can you post a map quest of the town you are in?...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to get the full update on you! I talked to Jo the other day and she told me she'd talked to you, but I was waiting to hear more! So happy for you to have your very own piece of Heaven - sounds wonderful.... We all miss you lots!!!!

    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad all is well with you and no sighting of any bears yet is good. The country is a different life but I know you will adapt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE READING YOUR BLOG AND I KNEW YOU WOULD LOVE IT UP THERE....HEAVEN IS RIGHT...HAVING THE WINDOWS OPEN AND HEARING THE BIRDS AND THE TREES...ENJOY!!! MISS YOU ALL AND SO HAPPY ALL IS WELL. WHEN DOES K START SCHOOL? TAKE CARE...WRITE, WRITE! I AM IN HAWAI'IAND HEADING HOME ON THURSDAY NIGHT...I MISS WSD!!! LOVE....BARBARA

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading too. The house sounds divine and to your 64 degrees at 10am, we have 84. I want to come see you when the leaves are in color but before the snow flies. Have you figured how you will up and down that driveway in the snow yet? Love ya! Ginni

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading and jealous! 64?????????? NO AC??????????? WOW! Sounds like heaven to me too. I love to hear birds chirp and leaves rustle. I love the photos of Kayla with Charles. Keeping you all in my thoughts! Laura

    ReplyDelete