Wednesday, February 24, 2010

American Idol is back....

In case you didn't know this about me, I am a huge AI freak!! I watch every season from the beginning. I remember when Ryan Seacrest was just a co-host with Dunkleman. Poor Dunkleman... I have been known to phone a friend when locked out of my house on AI night and make her hold the phone up to the TV and supply a running commentary on clothes, etc. I've been to almost every AI tour show. I have almost all of their CD's. (Yes, I own a Justin Guarian CD) And I am usually a bigger fan of the second place person than the first. I mean...what has anyone heard of Kris Allen other than those Ford commercials that run during AI? With all this AI "street cred", I think I am up to the challenge of picking some of my early favorites from last night.

Well, with all the hype I was thinking that the girls would be putting on a better show than they did last night. I was watching on my DVR so I could fast forward at will and let me tell you, the will was there a few times last night. Firstly, I am sick of the Ryan Seacrest banter. He tries way too hard and comes off looking like a schmuck. I hate it when he forces himself into the celebrations outside the door when contestants get their Hollywood tickets, etc. I do like Ellen though. She has said more than once that she is not an expert, and usually comments on their presence and if she liked their sound. She sounds like I would if I were up there-only much funnier! And, I am sad that this will be Simon's last season. I hope he changes his mind. For me, the standouts from last night were Lilly and Crystal. Lilly was the true original of the evening. The song she sang was a Beatles song that would be considered a B-side song (I'm Fixing a Hole)and put her own flair to it. I love the Indie sound, so I really enjoyed her. Crystal has a fantastic voice and personality but her version of Hand in my Pocket sounded too much like Alanis' version. I don't think that copy cat versions will win. Siobhan seems to be a fun one to watch. Simon said, "You really are a funny little thing." I couldn't agree more. I am looking forward to more from her. "Sounds like the original" seemed to be very popular last night. If I wanted to hear a song just like the original, I would go listen to the original version.

Listen up boys! You guys better be paying attention! Please do not copy the original song. Stand out! I am really looking forward to hearing Andrew tonight. With the Hollywood songs to go by, I think he'll be my favorite.

Between the Bachelor season ending next Monday (he'd better pick Tenley!), the announcements during that finale of the next season's contestants on Dancing with the Stars and American Idol ramping up I am in reality TV heaven!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recap...I missed it last night and forgot to tivo it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we voted for different peeps, but i knew you were watching!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal Bowersox, Katie Stevens and Katelyn Epperly are my picks!

    Especially liked Crystal, not sure how some of them ever got there in the first place! For instance what on earth would make them put Haeley Vaughn through to Hollywood??? She doesn't sink, she screams and the white eye shadow??? Honey please,
    Just sayin'.....

    As, for this being the year for the girls ... up to this point I have to agree with Simon. Will have to see what the boys bring to the table ; }

    I'll be watching.....

    Totally with you Jake had better pick Tenley, but I think he will! He is a man with a lot of class for sure ; }

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dee, I REALLY wanted him to pick Gia from the beginning! But he let me down on that one. Fingers crossed about Tenley. BUT! Did you see Chris H and that HO last night on "the women tell all" show? What a GIANT JERK! Honey...we all know you are lying! And to swear on your child's life? JERK!!!

    ReplyDelete