Friday, June 12, 2009

Oh wait! There's more...there's always more!

This evening after we returned with our Starbucks in hand when the realtor had left the house I noticed a dog that was running lose. He looked very over heated and was hunting for shade/water. I felt bad and had Kayla take our dogs in the house. I almost had the dog a couple of times. He was trotting after me, drank a bit of the water I gave him and was wagging his tail. Kayla came out and offered to help. Before I realized where he had gone to, Kayla was very near where he was sitting with his back up against someone's house. She approached as I was saying, "Kayla, I don't think you should get that close" then in a flash he was up on her and bit her upper arm! I ran over and would have made Cesar Milan proud when I "sshut"ed him away. Kayla kept her cool during the event-no screaming or freaking out, she remained calm as well which really helped the situation. I was so proud of her! There were two guys standing across the street watching, but never came over to offer help or see if K was OK. I called around for advice-got lots of conflicting stories and decided to wait a few hours and see if she started turning into a werewolf or something. Our security officer was notified, who in turn notified animal control. After about 2 hours the site was still warm, so off the the ER we went all the while Kayla was squirming about not wanting to get a shot tonight-because, "I am not prepared for it." (She is just too much!) Not much happened at the ER-we got a script for an antibiotic and told that we really didn't need to fill it unless she started showing signs of an infection. They reported the incident to animal control who will search for the dog and owner for proof of rabies vaccine. If not, the ER Doc said that there still is a very slim chance that K will have to undergo shots for the "R" word. (Not nearly as gruesome as it used to be) All in all, this could have been MUCH worse.
I think the new mantra around the house is gonna be...What doesn't break me, makes me stronger....What doesn't break me, makes me stronger....





No comments:

Post a Comment