Monday, August 16, 2010

Tioga Fair

Charles and I missed going to the Tioga Fair last year and from the fun we had this year, I wish that we hadn't. It is a week long, classic state fair. There are the 4H exhibits, Grange exhibits, a midway, rides, food vendors and all the rest. This year, we were only able to go once and we waited until Charles' mom & dad came up for a visit. We looked over the event list and we all settled on the Demolition Derby. We made our plans for the day, and since Johnnie wasn't feeling all that great, she had to skip our day of fun. We had hoped that she would feel better by the time the derby started, but she didn't and GL didn't want to go without her. So it became a "date night" for Charles and me! We had a blast! The weather was spectacular. Cool, not chilly. There was so much to do and see. Imagine the movie State Fair with the classic livestock pens, the food vendors, the auctions, the tents full with food entries, etc. You get the idea. The two things that stood out from the movie-there were the campers and RVs set up for folks who drove from far and wanted to stay right there and there was no band to dance to. There were plenty of bands, but I just remember from that movie the romance of the dancing in the evening. Oh, well. I was happy...there was polka music!
Next year we have promised ourselves that we'll buy week passes and go as much as we can. Maybe, just maybe I'll enter something in one of the contests!
Gentlemen....Start your engines!! They crashed, spewed mud, sparked, smoked, rammed, got caught on logs, had red flags waved at them, lost pieces of their cars, stalled...but most of all were cheered on by screaming fans!
There were all kinds of competitions and of course, I was loving the canning competition. Just wish that I had seen it in action and not just on display. There were some pretty cool entries...
Veggies. Quilts. Jams, jellies, pickles, etc. Goats. PS-Goats LOVE Charles!! And I'm pretty sure Charles loved them back!
Flowers. So cute in an antique, blue bottle!
Best in Show! This pumpkin and blue ribbon reminded me of a "State Fair" replica that they have in Disney World. It is so funny to see that there is still true Americana out there and not just "replicated" versions!
To ride or not to ride that is the question. We decided to act our age and not go on any of the rides. HA Not really, we just didn't feel like going on anything. Heck! Maybe we were acting our age, 'cause I can remember my mom and dad sitting rides out when we kids went on. Yikes! We ARE old!!
Charles checks out the midway. I really wanted him to win me something dorky, but neither of us really felt like playing any games. Funnel Cake. For me an essential for any fair!!

Although Fried Oreos could be interesting....

No comments:

Post a Comment