Thursday, August 19, 2010

A family of Nay-sayers!

I'm here to tell you that I married into a family of Nay-sayers. That's right, those negative folks who are contrary and contradictory when presented with evidence they don't really believe.

Case in point: The changing of leaves in Pennsylvania. IE: FALL

The evidence: Photographic, 'cause that's very good proof indeed!

Exhibit A:
Exhibit B:

How it all went down: Last year in early September I noticed some leaves changing color in the front yard. I am a Florida native and had not yet witnessed the changing of leaves. I noticed these leaves and mentioned to Charles (gleefully, I might add) that I spotted some leaves changing. Without even glancing at said leaves, he replied, "Nah. It's too early for that." Disappointed, I still watched those leaves and soon there were more in the same spot. I approached Charles again and asked him to look for himself. He did and remarked once again, "Too early." Not buying it I snapped a photo (Exhibit A) and presented this to my Facebook friends who all quickly called Charles a moron. Well, they were kinder than that, but I am taking an artistic licence here. The date stamp on that photo is August 11th. We watched that area change colors throughout the fall and the spot that I had seen first actually HAD been Fall leaves starting to go early. Finally a month later and after many "told-you-so's" from yours truly, he admitted that he was wrong and those leaves were changing color.
Fast forward to a visit from the in-laws. Date of arrival, oddly enough, August 11th. We are driving around town and I spot some of those same trees (Exhibit B) from our yard that had turned early last year and (once again, gleefully) point these out to my in-laws. Johnnie, Charles' mom, quickly points out to me that, "They are not changing. It's too early." Hummm...I've heard this one before. I politely explain that this particular tree had done the same thing around the same time last year. She simply wasn't buying it. See, she grew up on a farm in Pennsylvania, and their trees didn't turn this early. Well, I try to reason that they might not have had this particular tree on or near their farm. Nope. Still I was wrong. But, unlike Charles she provided scientific evidence that I was wrong. Some trees are fragile and die off. Or perhaps it was exhaust from passing trucks. It all sounded good to her as a rebuttal to my theory. But when we kept seeing trees with not only brownish leaves, but yellow, orange and then fiery red her science was failing! Sorry, but evidence is evidence. Finally after many "look at that tree"'s from me said in my best "told-you-so" tone of voice she finally admitted that I might be right. I think it took the wisdom-filled voice of her very clever son to convince her, when he said, "Mom. Jen's right."

Moral of the story: You may have been raised as a "Nay-sayer", but good old-fashioned evidence and being married to an "I-told-you-so"er will quickly re-learn 'ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment