Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Butternut Squash Ravioli with Browned Butter & Parmesean



I just created this on the fly from seeing other recipes in the past, so I didn't write down exact measurements but I'm gonna do my best to remember how I made this.

1 butternut squash

Split in half and put in baking pan. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt, pepper, nutmeg,curry powder and a bit of brown sugar. Bake at 350 degrees until tender. Scrap out flesh, put in bowl and mush all up. There were a few small chunks still in there.

1/2 of large onion
1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic (I used the pre-roasted, from the jar)
1 tbsp. (real) butter

Chop onion. Melt butter over medium-high heat and cook onions & garlic until slightly brown. Add to squash.

1/2 cup fat free ricotta cheese
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
2 eggs

Add the above three to squash mixture and set aside.

1 package of won ton wrappers

Lay out one won ton square and add a teaspoon of squash to center. Wet all four sides of square with water and lay another won ton wrapper on top. Repeat until all done. Really smooch the two pieces together. If a bit oozes out now, it is ok. I used the tines of a fork to go around the edges to really seal the seams! I had a cookie sheet that I laid the raviolis in while I finished the rest.

Meanwhile bring a large pot of water with salt and a bit of oil to a boil. Cook the ravioli three at a time in the water. They are a bit big and will tend to stick together. Lift each ravioli out individually and drain. Transfer to a cookie sheet & cover with foil until ready to eat. These suckers really wanted to stick together!

3/4 of a stick of (real) butter

Put butter in pan (you can use the same pan you cooked the onions in without cleaning it!) over medium-high heat. Heat until the butter turns brown.

1 cup Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Add the above two to the butter. (Do not add salt!) Season if you like with a bit of pepper and a pinch or two of nutmeg.

The sauce is super rich, so a little goes a long way on the ravioli. Hope it turns out as good for you as it did for me! Let me know...

2 comments:

  1. Jen, Just found your blog and have enjoyed reading your posts since moving to PA. Not sure if you remember but we met at a crop right before you moved and discussed that I had grown up in Wellsboro. Your blog has provided a flashback of memories for me today. I grew up eating at the diner (no McDonalds, Pizza Hut, or Subway back in my day) and remember the movie theater when there was only 1 theater that only showed 'G' rated movies (we had to go to Elmira, NY to see anything else). What a change from Tampa. Hope you are ready for winter!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rhonda! Great to hear from you! If you want to email me you can get me at: mavenjen@yahoo.com
    We love it up here! I am having the best time. Just wish I could find some scrapbookers! The closest store is in Corning and they don't do crops.
    Am I ready for winter? HA! The NOAA forcasts snow showers next Monday and Tuesday! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete