Monday, October 18, 2010

Couldn't be lovlier...

Today has been just a lovely, good day. And it isn't over yet. I still have 45 minutes until Dancing with the Stars comes on and I can watch some fun ballroom dancing and possibly a shirtless dancer or two! But today has been spent getting ready for my trip to Florida in a couple of days and I always love to pack. I love to get everything organized and arrange it in my suitcases. I know that might seem wierd, but I love making everything fit. I loved Tetris as a teenager, so I think it might just be an oddball thing of mine. But my suitcases are getting full and this makes my husband sad. He has said on more than one evening that he really wants me to stay 'cause he is gonna miss me too much. Aaawww. I've also been finishing up a crafting project. I had this idea for months and I finally had the time and products to work on it. It is my contribution to the October Swarm I'll be going to in Florida. We are all handmaking a little goody for each other and I had an idea in my mind to do, but couldn't find the exact thing I needed, so I had to improvise. I REALLY love it when the improvation turns out better than the original. I took photos, but I cannot post them yet, 'cause I want this to be a surprise and someone could read this that will be getting these lovlies! Maybe later. But the most lovely thing that happened today was when Charlie came home and asked if there was anything he could do to help me get ready. I said, "Sure. You can make supper tonight." Knowing full well that he has NEVER made supper for us. That he HATES to cook and flat out refuses to do it. And that the last time I talked him into it we ate macaroni and chesse that tasted like cheese and paste. So I quit asking. But tonight he took pity on me and said, "OK, what'da want?" I knew that there was a package of this new meat-free "beef" tips in the freezer and that they should be easy to fix, so I picked that with some veggies. Knowing that he could nuke 'em and the food would be edible. So about 1/2 hour later my husband comes down to the basement with a plate of food he is delivering to my craft desk. It looked GREAT! The tips were char-grilled and I asked him how he cooked them? "In the skillet." He said. He must have noticed the shock on my face so he continued, "And I didn't just cook 'em up, I added seasonings!" I took a bite and was confused. It was not only edible, but damn GOOD! I said, "What kind of seasonings did you use?" He said, "You are shocked, aren't you? I'm shocked too. I just thought that I have all these spices at my fingertips and I should use some. So I added blackening spice, soy sauce and seasoned salt." Holy crap. These all go together well and he figured it out on his own. Then he said something that almost brought a tear to my eye. "I also used olive oil AND butter in the pan." That is exactly what I do...I consider it one of my "secrets"...and he must have been paying attention. Well, I set to on that plate. He came back down a few minutes later with my camera and said, "Don't you wanna take a photo?" I was so distracted by the yumminess that I totally forgot that I take photos of monumental occasions and this one was about to pass me by. So here is my supper plate. Half gone.

Now I just don't know if I should ask him to cook supper again on another night or just hold the memory of this evening dear....

No comments:

Post a Comment