Monday, July 19, 2010

Go ahead and laugh!

OK, here is another one of those "Feel Free to Laugh at Jen" moments!

Today is beautiful. Slightly overcast and nice and breezy. It is 79 and just a nice day to be outside. Since I've been working in my basement studio and doing laundry for most of the day we have not been outside too much so on an afternoon potty break I am standing at the top of our hill looking down towards the mailbox. I'm thinking, "There might be more registration forms in there and I want those! But that is where that stupid bear cub was hanging out last Saturday. Is mail worth it?" I look down at the dogs and I can tell that Kiwi really wants to take a stroll, so after I stand there thinking about what I would do if I had a close bear encounter....no neighbors at home now, not a lot of cars on the road right now, who would help? Nobody-that's who. But I decided to hike up my big girl pants and walk down the drive. Loud noise. That will let the bears know that we are coming and to move along, right? If you know me, you know that although I love to sing, I am really quite bad at it. But that never stops me! I chose the Pennsylvania Polka to sing as my "scare the bears" song and I was working it! I was telling anyone/thing who was listening that "everybody has the mania, to do the polka from Pennsylvania" when both Kiwi and I not only heard a loud rustling in the tree line ahead, but SAW a bear moving away! Yep! There was a bear exactly where I thought it would be. Yep! It heard me singing and knew enough to move along-out of earshot, I imagine. But did my big girl panties and brave girl song carry me all the way to the mail box? NOT ON YOUR LIFE!!! I did a very quick, backwards shuffle almost all the way up the hill. See, I did it backwards because I've heard tell that you do not want to actually run away from a bear, just move away slowly while keeping an eye on it! I got the "keep an eye on it" part ok, but the "slowly" needs a bit more work. I moved as fast as my legs could move me backwards and uphill while corralling two barking Chihuahuas! But, lemme tell you this...I kept right on singing! Not even a stinky 'ole bear can stop me when I get a polka tune in my head!


New current score for "on property" bear sightings:
Jen-10
Charles-3

No comments:

Post a Comment