Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Joyous Mabon!

This is the season when we can reap the fruits of our labor and of our lessons, both with crops and experiences. It is a time of joy, for us to celebrate that which is passing and to look joyously at the moments and the experiences the year has shared with us. We are reminded once again of the cyclic universe-endings are just new beginnings...



Fall is officially here and we are welcoming the Autumn Equinox with some really wild weather! The mornings have been downright chilly! There were a couple of days that I checked the thermometor and it read 37 degrees! But by the afternoon it was usually up into the 70's. But by supper time the temprature starts to drop again.


We have had to become familiar with the different kinds of heaters we have in the house. There are the room heaters, or "forced air" heathers. These are the electric ones and they are in the two front rooms and the two bathrooms. Then there are the floor heaters which get their heat from the furnace that are located in the two guest bedrooms and the living room. And finally we have the wood pellet stoves that are in our bedroom, the finished basement and the living room. We have not learned how to use the pellet stoves yet, but have become very familiar with the other two-especially when taking a shower or we notice some shivering Chihuahuas! For the last few days the wind has really picked up at night. It actually howls! Charles and I were talking about it on our walk this evening and he agreed that it is kind-of spooky.


We have been going on some great evening walks. The trees that line the road we walk on are all starting to go through the change. It is amazing to me all the different colors these leaves can turn. I am having a great time taking tons of photos. So far there is one tree type (that I have to ask around and find out what kind it is) that I positively love! It has a very dark brown trunk with very sparse branches and when the leaves turn they are the most vivid, creamy orange that I have ever seen. I'll try to find one close to the house to take a photo of, but so far I can only find those as we are driving along the road. I will find one and share it soon!


I have been hard at work creating these cute little fabric "yo-yos" for The Doodle's Spooktacular Crop. We are putting together a goody bag for everyone that attends and I wanted to include something homemade. I have never made a yo-yo before and I have to say that they are coming out kind-of cute. I sure hope that everyone likes them! I think I'm gonna make some smaller and stitch them on some dog collars so that Kiwi and Ginger can celebrate Howl-o-ween in style!


Yesterday I noticed that a number of times during the day the back part of the house "shivered" and "moaned". Now before you go thinking it's some kind of haunting I have to tell you that all around this area there are gas companies that are drilling for natural gas. They are leasing land from the farmers and putting up gas drills. You see them and the equipment everywhere. For them to find the natural gas and get it out they send down these shots down deep into the ground. I do not know much about the whole process, but I do know that it has been causing our house to rumble a bit! At first I was worried that it was one of the heaters or something, but Charles came home with his big 'ole brain and determined that since the spot in the house where I felt it was the lowest set in the ground and that there was no mechanical equipment under that part of the house it was the gas wells going in. Very good to have a big brain around the house. Now to get our water tested for yucky chemicals...

No comments:

Post a Comment